I trust you have had a good week. I thought I would share with you a fruit loaf recipe to help with those mid morning munchies! This was the photo on the New Leaf Facebook page:-
It makes an excellent snack with coffee or a cup of tea and was a big hit with the husband. As it’s full of fibre it helps to get a sluggish digestive system moving!.
Fruit Loaf Recipe
150g chopped dried apricots
150g dried cranberries, figs or sour cherries (whatever you prefer)
150g chopped pitted dates
2 cups of orange juice
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
¾ cup of brown sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 cups of self raising flour
1 ½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Grease and line a 10 x 21 cm x 7cm deep loaf pan with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place all the dried fruit and the orange juice into a pan and cook, stirring over a low heat for about 20 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- This bit the kids might like helping with – stir in the bicarbonate of soda and watch the whole mixture froth up like a witches cauldron! Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl and stir in the sugar and eggs.
- Sift the flour and spices over the fruit mixture and gently stir until combined.
- Spoon into the loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a knife/skewer comes out clean.
Leave to stand in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack or plate. Serve sliced with your favourite drink!
This week’s meal plan:-
- Pork steaks with a pepper sauce, rice and peas
- Red Thai chicken curry
- Moroccan beef triangles, sweet potato wedges and salad
- Sausage paprika pasta
- Roast lamb and all the trimmings
- Lamb tagine (from left over lamb roast)
I hope you have a super week. Left me know if you have a go at making the Fruit loaf in the comments below or on the Facebook page.
Don’t forget you can sign up to our FREE weekly Newsletter HERE